Name: Road-, Air-, and Water- based Future Internet Experimentation
Funding: H2020, Research and Innovation Action (RIA), FIRE+ initiative
Start date: 01/01/2015
Duration: 48 months
Coordinator: National & Kapodistrian University of Athens (UoA)
Total EC funding: 6.995.733 €
Road-, Air-, and Water- based Future Internet Experimentation - RAWFIE is a project funded by the European Commission (Horizon H2020 programme) under the Future Internet Research Experimentation (FIRE+) initiative that aims at providing research facilities for Internet of Things (IoT) devices. The project introduces a unique platform across the space and technology by integrating numerous test beds of unmanned vehicles for research experimentation in vehicular, aerial and maritime environments. The platform will support experimenters with smart tools to conduct and monitor experiments in the domains of IoT, networking, sensing and satellite navigation.
The project aims to feature a significant number of UxV nodes (marine USV, ground UGV and aerial UAV) in order to establish an extended test infrastructure for RAWFIE related experimentation purposes. All these items will be managed by a central controlling entity which will be programmed per case and fully overview/drive the operation of the respective mechanisms (e.g., auto-pilots, remote controlled ground vehicles). Internet connectivity will be extended to the mobile units to enable remote programming (over-the-air), control and data collection.
The RAWFIE project organized two open calls to attract researchers from academia and industry, test bed operators and unmanned vehicles manufacturers.
- Create a federation of UxV testbeds
- Provide smart tools for concluding large-scale experiments on IoT paradigm
- Integrate cloud services and networking facilities
- Promote the Experimentation-as-a-Service (EaaS)
- Support the entire experiment lifecycle with fully controllable conditions
- Assess the performance of different technologies in networking, sensing and autonomic application domains
Heterogeneous UxV testbeds
- Wide class of networking technologies
- Ease of incorporating additional technologies
- Use of cloud services (PaaS / IaaS)
- Designed for a long lifetime
Follow RAWFIE news: